5.05.2014

THE DAY MY EGGS EXPIRED



I read somewhere the other day, "I'm getting rid of the term selfie and I'm calling it a photograph again." I wish I remembered who it was so I could give credit where credit is due, but of course I can't find it anywhere. I'm so jumping on that game. A photograph of yourself is just that, a photograph. I feel like there is such a negative connotation with the term selfie and I've started to really dislike it. If you're confident enough to take a picture of yourself and share it with the world (whether or not you are fishing for compliments) good on ya. And I'm not just saying this because I want to justify what I'm doing here on this blog or on my instagram because the courage it took for me to get to the point to submit myself to the worlds criticism and be okay and confident enough to do was courage millions of miles wide. 

To jump on the cliche bandwagon (for lack of a better term): we are all so beautiful and liking a self portrait is nothing but good. It doesn't make you prideful or self centered or narcissistic if you appreciate a picture of yourself. So share your beautiful faces and be empowered to do so because God crafted you with his own two hands and your mother mothered you and your father told you that you were his princess; hold on to all of that and embrace it. We only get one body, one heart and one mind. If you fill those with love and love for yourself, there is so much that will come your way. If you love you, you'll have focus leftover to go elsewhere. To serve, to love someone else, to share, to create, to understand. If you aren't trying to pull yourself down, then others will gravitate toward you and who doesn't want beautiful lovely people to hold their hands and watch Friends with them in the evening? Loving you will get you that. The millions of poems I want to write about this will soon surface, but for now I just want to whisper in your ear and hold you tight in my arms to tell you how lovely you are--How stunning your smile is. 

And I feel for you when you don't want to look in the mirror today, or when you don't want to put makeup on this week. I feel you, girl. And we all have those days which makes it all the better to just love each other for those days, and for the zits on our faces, and for the different hair textures and for the thicker arms or the thinner legs. Love your crooked teeth, or your weird toes or those stretch marks because they are yours. And you grew them yourself. 

So I'm stepping off my soap box to tell you that I started this blog post with the title that it is because I was going to write about something completely different, but these words came out of my heart instead. So go tell your best friend, "hey, you're stunning, and I am too." 

Take photographs, not selfies.

xoxo,
mo.

4 comments:

laura elizabeth said...

YOU ARE PERFECT AND THIS IS EVERYTHING.

Mattie Nelson and Kara Rhodes said...

I am so proud of you and everything you're learning and becoming. Thank you for being confident enough to speak the truth. <3

Mattie Nelson and Kara Rhodes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jillian Sanderson said...

You are stunning babe.